Since 1910, the Monte Cristo has been a popular Parisian staple. Because it’s so delicious, this decadent sandwich has also found its way into American culture. A Monte Cristo is a grilled or deep-fried ham and cheese sandwich that is typically topped with béchamel, a French white sauce. Despite its fancy ingredients, Monte Cristos are surprisingly easy to create at home. Try it for yourself with this simple recipe!
• 8 oz. Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
• 8 slices ham
• 8 slices Swiss cheese
• 1/3 cup cream cheese
• Raspberry jam
• Powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Roll out and separate the refrigerated dough into 8 triangles onto a cookie sheet coated with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Place one slice of ham on each triangle, then spread two teaspoons of cream cheese on each piece of ham.
4. Place one slice of Swiss cheese over the cream cheese.
5. Roll up each triangle into a crescent shape, then bake for 15 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. After baking, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
6. Dip in raspberry jam and enjoy!
On the hunt for your new favorite recipe? The team at B’nai B’rith Senior Apartments in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania encourages you to try your hand at this delicious option.